This program prepares students for intellectually and aesthetically challenging careers in Graphic Design by providing courses that emphasize theory and professional practice. The curriculum concentrates on the organization and visual communication of information and includes typography, form and image, information architecture, user interface, interactive design, and motion graphics. Additionally, students have the opportunity to attend special classes and workshops led by studio professionals and faculty members.To be admitted to the program, students must pass two portfolio reviews. To advance to the BFA GD program, students must pass two Junior and two Senior Reviews.All students are required to complete a professional internship and must maintain a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale in all art/design courses; failing this, the BFA status will be changed to the BA-Art Design Studies.
Upon completion of the program, students will
- Apply the principles of color, composition, hierarchy, typography as they relate in the various media—digital, print, motion, 3D, etc.
- Demonstrate the ability to create and develop original concepts, build prototypes, integrate feedback and carry projects through the production process.
- Reach audiences by applying principles of visual communication and understanding the role of design in society.
- Identify key aspects of graphic design history, theory and criticism from a variety of perspectives, including prominent designers, historians and contemporary writers and thought-leaders.
- Show fluency in the breadth of disciplines that graphic design encompasses, with deep exploration into information architecture, user interface design, interactive design, motion graphics, iterative image-making, exhibition design and typeface design.
- Demonstrate understanding of the design process, design thinking and professional standards and practices, including real-project learning scenarios and a transition into preparing a portfolio to enter the working force.
Current Forms & Curriculum
Visit the Department's Forms page. For more information on course requirements in this major, visit the SJSU catalog's pages on BA Design Studies and BFA Graphic Design.